March 31, 2010

"Not Myself Tonight" Billboard's Review




Christina Aguilera kicked off her 2006 "Back to Basics" album with the monogamy-celebrating single "Ain't No Other Man," but now she's back to flaunting her wild streak. The pop star gets racy on "Not Myself Tonight," the lead single from her upcoming "Bionic" album that debuted Tuesday (Mar. 30) on her own A.P.E. radio station


"Tonight I'm feeling a little out of control," Aguilera whispers seductively on the introduction to the tribal house-inspired track. "I'm doing things that I normally wouldn't do. The old me's gone, I feel brand new, and if you don't like it, f*** you." (The last two words are replaced by a giddy shriek on the song's edited version).
As previously reported, "Bionic" is slated for release on June 8 and features collaborations with SiaLe Tigre, Christopher "Tricky" Stewart," Hill & Switch and Ladytron. Aguilera has also confirmed a ballad entitled "Lift Me Up" written by Linda Perry, who also penned the singer's "Back to Basics" singles "Hurt" and "Candyman," as well as her 2002 hit "Beautiful." Aguilera recently that she'll appear on "VH1 Storytellers" to promote the release.


The premiere of "Not Myself Tonight" was followed by a recording of Aguilera discussing her inspiration behind "Bionic." "I really went into this record wanting it to be a fun and playful experiment," she says. "Being a new mom, I'm seeing things differently through my son's eyes. I wanted to go with a very futuristic sense of everything ... it's almost like getting to also be a kid again."

Aguilera's "Back to Basics" album has sold 1,694,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Her 2008-released greatest hits set, "Keeps Getting Better: A Decade of Hits," has sold 338,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment